[Jandek] Re: Corwood Record, Rather Ripped!

Lee Rosevere leerosevere at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 16:54:33 PST 2007

This has been covered before by owners of the vinyl; I
can understand the desire to hear vinyl versions over
CD masters.  The original vinyl retains all the hiss
of the tape, background noise (which leads to possible
clues) that are all removed from the CD through
aggresive noise reduction, that basically makes it
sound like crap (techinically), to me anyways.

I only have two vinyls, but the difference in the
stereo picture, and ND from the CD versions is
startling.   There is so much ND going on sometimes,
I'd swear I was listening to an badly encoded MP3
source, not an original  CD master.

The effect of the mastering for each really affects
the timbre of the sound too...the vinyls sound much
creepier than the 'cleaned' CD versions.  But that's
just my opinion.

~L