[Jandek] Montreal Sunday

Mathieu Duval m_duval76 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:06:22 PDT 2007

Agreed,

The Montreal show was breathtaking! Absolutely unique in Jandek's
discography. Very dark and pessimistic (I don't think I've ever heard him
speak of death, dying and mortality so much - the word "die" appears approx.
5 times in a line at some point). Jean Derome was incredible, although I
think he did steal the show in certain parts, the two other musicians were
more discreet. Derome's contribution did bring a nice, dark, free jazz vibe
to the two hour set. Loved the harpsichord, just wish it would have been
even more present. The drummer was quite incredible and fascinating to watch
as well.

Hearing Jandek sing in FRENCH for a few lines was also a surprise: "Tu es la
fenetre" (You are the window). That put a huge smile on my face... The first
track I am sure is about Montreal itself (excursion in the city, streams of
sex, coffee shops and commerce - or something to that effect, can't remember
the exact lines).

There was one particular track towards the middle mark, almost ambient, very
dark and low key, almost like a drone which floored me. Absolutely the best
number. Another thing is the frequent changing of instruments (Derome and
Jandek) which makes almost every track sound unique and recognizable, not
just a long monolithic set. Can't wait for this to come out. Of all the live
shows I've heard yet, this one takes the cake (not considering the
historical value of Glasgow Sunday or course).

Those were my two cents...

md