[Jandek] Eddie

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Wed Jun 20 14:58:09 PDT 2007

I've stated before that I think "Eddie" plays 12 string and shares vocals on several "second band" albums. Don't know which ones exactly, (I'm pretty sure it starts with "Footsteps" but not sure where it ends) but there's definitely a second guy.  There's also at least one other person to play the other stuff. Maybe this is the guy who sings "Sadie?" Not sure on that one, but I would guess at least three, maybe four guys (plus, eventually, a female vocalist who is clearly not "Nancy"). The "members" of the band seem to fluctuate depending on the session.

I think Corwood stopped overdubbing after a certain period of time. It's been acknowledged that some of the earliest "band" work is overdubs, but he seems to do away with that early on (perhaps after "Interstellar Discussion?") Part of what I find appealing about Jandek is the "captured moment" of the sessions - he doesn't "fix" anything. Hence, if there's a second (or third, or fourth) instrument playing I believe that's somebody else playing along. If it's only him, it's confined to him and whatever he's playing (or not, in the case of the voice albums). Neil Young stopped overdubbing  following his early albums - he may do 20 takes of a song, but with rare exceptions he doesn't overdub or layer. The book "Shakey" has a good description of why he does this, and I think this fits the Rep's MO.