[Jandek] JANDEK LIVE AT THE ICA in BOSTON

Nate Wilson visioninapark at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:42:28 PDT 2007

First off I would like to start by letting you all know that I am terrified
of the ocean, heights and spiders so seeing this friday's show at the ICA in
Boston was going to be a real head trip for me.

I drove down with my friends Nicole, Dan and Joel and we arrived at the ICA
around 5 which is exceptionally late for me. I was at least 5 hours early to
both of the Manhattan shows I had attended.  We killed some time by taking
pictures of the venue and walking around outside and smoking cigarettes.
The ocean was surprisingly calming to me, but the concept of being above the
water in a giant glass sided theater was still looming in my mind.  PLus
just knowing that a 15 foot tall bronze spider was in the building was
something that I kept having to remind myself about.
At about 5:30 I started the ticket holder line.  I was rocking back and
forth anxiously awaiting the show ... the nerves were getting edgy and I
wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or not.  The line of people behind me
was getting longer and the clock was ticking slower.  Eventually the tones
went off that told us we could go into the theater.  I raced up to the third
floor via the staircase and quickly grabbed the program for the night from
the usher girl and darted down to the front row.  I ended up with the seat
directly in front of the Corwood Rep himself.  This was my second show in a
row in this position and being on the same level floor as the performers was
an extra treat.
I WAS EXTRA HAPPY THAT THE GIANT WINDOWS THAT LOOKED OUT OVER BOSTON HARBOR
WERE COVERED UP WITH BIG BLACK CLOTH PIECES OR SOMETHING OF THAT ILK.  That
eased my tension a bit.

It took a while for the room to fill, but eventually everyone was chattering
and tossing theories back and forth.  Eventually the band members entered...
I remember watching the other members for about a millionth of a second.
The moment The Rep entered he almost glided ... it was hella eerie and he
kind of had a Nosferatu aspect about him in the darkness.

The overall show was like someone had punched me to death.  It was gorgeous
and at the same time like an eternal funeral dirge.  I have played bass for
about 23 years and I had never seen anyone play bass in that manner.  It was
enjoyable, like seeing a kid take his first steps.

The drummer was exceptionally talented but I felt the brightness of the
snare or timbale or whatever he was hitting was too sharp of a noise.  The
rolls across the toms rendered me speechless but at times seemed to get too
crazy.  I really enjoyed the experimental horn playing that the trumpet
player and sax player did.  Scraping metal on their horns and skwaking and
squeeking, making wind noises and spitty water nosies.  This was my first
experience with the lyricon.  I LOVED IT.... it made some haunting noises.
Made the piece even more bone chilling.

The two hours was over before I knew it.
I still to this day will never seem to understand how every show just keeps
getting better and more beautiful.

Afterwards, I got to say hello quickly to Phil Milstein and Byron Coley as
we were descending the stairs back down to the lobby, and also had the lucky
chance of finally meeting Seth Tisue in person.  (Thanks for chatting with
me)

Overall I would say that anyone who hasn't seen a live Jandek show, should
do so immediately.
That is my perscription for what ails you.