[Jandek] The Bowery, Beacon Hill, Biography, Brooklyn Wednesday

Matthew Elliott soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 11:36:43 PDT 2007

I just thought you were being arrogant- apology accepted. And since I've often been accused of that unseemly trait, I guess I'm pretty sensitive to it now.

  Maybe I'm just more interested in artists than art, but I'd find my appreciation of "Wheat Field with Crows" quite enhanced, rather than dimmed, with the knowledge that Van Gogh took his life after painting it. That example reminds me of "Unplugged in New York" by Nirvana, whose power for me has a lot to do with the fact that Kurt went the way of Van Gogh not long after that performance. At the same time, a person can know nothing about Nirvana and be blown away by that final scream in "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"- a great song is a great song, just as a beautiful painting is a beautiful painting. Yes, information can change my point of view, but it usually increases my appreciation to have more than one vantage point. I can't understand how knowing the events of Jandek's life would take away from his music. Yes, I'd interpret it differently, but its emotional meaning for me would remain the same as the first time I heard it on the radio.

Rachel & Gary Simmons <rachelgary at cox.net> wrote:
  Matt - First off, I do apologize. This wasn't meant to be a personal
attack on you. I actually meant to post this on the Jandek mailing
list, but I screwed that up. Again, sorry.

My point in "posting" this rebuttal was that I do not need to know the
personal aspects of the artist to appreciate the artist's work. I once
read a book entitled "The Ways of Seeing" by John Berger. In this book
there was a print of Van Gogh's "Wheat Field with Crows" and on the
following page there was a print of Van Gogh's "Wheat Field with Crows"
with a subscript of "This was Van Gogh's last painting before he
committed suicide." It completely changed the way in which the
painting is seen. It was no longer just a beautiful painting by Van
Gogh, but something entirely different. I think if Jandek were to
disclose the nature of his "damage" (A friend of mine had dinner with
the man recently and confirmed that Jandek is certainly "different"),
it would delineate the beauty of his work. In other words, it would
diminish the beauty and power of what that art is because everything
would be laid bare and open - hence the destruction of imagination.

I hope I this manages to clear up some things between us. I didn't mean
to offend - just to open some discussion about what makes Jandek's art
so powerful. My technological inefficiencies precluded any open
discussion on this subject. Again, all apologies.

Peace to you. Enjoy the music for what it means to you.

All care.

Gary