[Jandek] Clarifying the Copyright Thing

Flcon18Fan flcon18fan at aol.com
Sat Feb 24 09:14:19 PST 2007

I'm getting late into this but a note or other correspondence from Mr. Smith or anyone else is not a "Work" protected by any copyright law. A "Work" is clearly defined under the copyright laws and is not the simple product of conversation or correspondence. However if someone were to write you a letter and enclose a short story etc. That part would be protected. Its the same idea as if you were to encounter a star on the street and ask questions with a tape recorder running. The resulting tape would be yours to  do with as you please. If you were to tape a star performing at a concert or a poet performing "Works" then you could not.
Steve

In a message dated 02/24/07 10:31:21 Eastern Standard Time, djobe at uark.edu writes:

> Ah, come on guys.  You know better, or you really ought to.
>

> "a letter is not actually a copyrighted statement, and in fact can
> said to
> be "owned" by its recipient. So it's on the recipient's shoulders."
>

> Sorry, but no, what you stated there is totally incorrect.

More that the way I said it was totally incorrect, and I should have clarified. What I should have said is that the FACTS of the letter are NOT copyrighted. Copyright law exists mostly for things which have commercial value, though it can be said that posting a letter as sent or using the wording exactly as sent is a violation. That said, unless the letter could be said to commercially de-value the creative works of an artist (a curious idea concerning Corwood) the chances are good that no monetary award would be given in a civil suit.

And again, paraphrasing facts is totally within the law. If someone wishes to take the content of a letter (and, again, I want to note that I'm NOT advocating this AT ALL) and re-phrase it that is absolutely in the recipient's rights. It can be rude as hell, depending on the nature of the letter, but not illegal. Scanning the letter and posting it (or even duplicating the words of the letter exactly) is illegal, but since copyright dispute is a civil court issue, it's doubtful that a suit would bear weight unless the postee stood to gain monetarily from said posting, or, again, if the posting could be said to devalue copyrighted works . Most likely, a person would sue over the posting of letter content for slander, although again said person would have to convince a judge and jury that said person was a victim of public humiliation.

In short: If Corwood says they used a fretless bass on a recording and someone notes this to the list that's fine (legally, at least, though from what I know Corwood doesn't seem to mind when this sort of info is shared). If someone posts the exact wording of the letter from Corwood, that could be considered a copyright violation, but would only hold water if a court would consider that to devalue the original work or demean the artist. Now if someone posted an mp3 of a song off an album in order to demonstrate the use of said bass, that constitutes a serious copyright violation and an easy lawsuit because you're using the specific artistic work without permission.

We now return you to complete anticipation of the Richmond, Austin and Manhattan shows.

Danen