[Jandek] the jandek primer

Spencer Graham soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 14:47:16 PST 2007

Blue Corpe and You Walk Alone are two of the most tonal albums which makes them good bunny slopes, but Jandek's output is so varied that you really have to wet your feet again with each new album, or at least each new stylistic group (because chances are, if you get into Ready for the House, you'll understand the first ten albums at least, since they rarely deviate from the original formula). but there really isn't a Rosetta Stone for Jandek, so it's hard to reccommend any one more than the others, though Follow Your Footsteps and On the Way, I should mention, do encompass a wider variety of his styles than most albums, which usually stick to one or two per album. my favorite album is probably interstellar discussion, for its frank and creepy bipolarity- it starts out with a massive clatter of drums and guitar and screaming, building to a frightening crescendo with "I ain't got none", before suddenly dying on side two with solo acoustic musings and dying down even more
 after than, until the very last song is nothing but a single string plucked over and over. bracing.

  -spence

Rappin Guy <lotsomuzik at yahoo.com> wrote:
    which jandek recording is recommended to get one's feet wet before jumping headlong into the jandek ocean?

  lots o' muzik