[Jandek] To the bloke who promoted himself / Magnetophone

Mark L famous_mortimer at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Aug 17 23:28:42 PDT 2007

I just had a listen to a few of his songs, and I'm going to have to be like the first respondent, only maybe a tiny bit more polite.

You kinda remind me of those people who quote their favourite bits from TV shows, but always get a few words wrong. If you'd played me that song outside of any context (i.e. this list) I'd have said "it's like someone trying to do Jandek". Actually, maybe a better comparison is to those people who make mass-market rip-offs of famous painters for hotel lobbies - you can see what the original was, but there's none of the uniqueness that makes us love that original. Sorry man, I just didn't like it at all.

Magnetosphere, on the other hand, I thought were absolutely brilliant. Keep up the good work guys (and send me an email if you have some merchandise to sell, I'll buy an album off ya).