[Jandek] Spencer Graham, A Chankin, Pitchforkmedia & being bored by Jandek

Spencer Graham soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 12:53:52 PDT 2007

I totally agree with this- it's about how YOU receive it, especially about letting it take you where it does, even if you end up getting dropped off on the wrong side of the tracks with no cell phone and no money (but I've already written a big spiel about this so I won't yammer on).

  And one more think I left out of my last post. I don't think the Pitchfork guy was right about what he was actually saying, but I did comisserate with his reaction. He was, like a lot of people, only really into the the myth of Jandek, or at least far more into it than the music, and I think his conclusion that Jandek's music is weakened by the shedding of the mythis totally off base. It's infinitely strengthened. By revealing himself Jandek forced people to deal with the music alone. He appears on stage as a ghost, pale and dressed all in black, like some personification of that tall, lanky man you meet at the crossroads in the middle of a desert of mental crisis, who is neither the Devil nor God, but some sort of guardian of purgatory who asks you to pick one road or the other, only reminding you that the only truly wrong thing to do is stay in the middle. Or maybe that's just my bizarre vision, but now more than ever, he's etablishing himself as the messenger and not
 the message. He's the chauffer, as Amy says, and if you want to see where you're going you gotta look out the windows, not at him.

  -Spence