[Jandek] ABRONS ART CENTER GIG APRIL 14th

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:31:47 PDT 2007

> i saw that within the first week or so the show was aanounced.
> since tonic has
> never presented shows at another venue to my knowledge, it makes me
> think they
> knew since then that they wouldn't be around any longer by april 14
> (ironically the
> day after their last night open).

So sad to hear of Tonic closing - I've never even been, but I have a few good recordings from shows there, I know Alan Licht does (did, I guess) their booking, and that it will be missed.

but, I can clarify the venue thing, if only to show that Tonic DIDN'T know that they'd be closing: Corwood prefers raised stages and seats secured to the floor. I'm guessing Tonic didn't have the latter, so they moved it down the road. Otherwise, my guess would be that either their last night would be April 14'th, or they'd have moved the show anyhow.

Anyway, I'm sad to hear of it - too few good independent places in America providing music that dares. Closings like this tend to sway clubs to book more music they know will sell and not take chances, providing even less of an outlet to independent musicians. But what can you do? Tonic obviously did its best.