[Jandek] What else is out there?

Glenn Becker burningc at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 25 10:34:49 PDT 2006

> I would say Harsh Noise or Sound Collage, or any 'noise music' in
> general really, might be offputting to many Jandek fans. As it has even
> less of a reference point with 'real music'.... Stuff like Masonna,
> Merzbow, Skin Crime, The Haters, Panicsville, AMK, Emil Beaulieau,
> Whitehouse, etc etc.....

I was gonna mention Merzbow myself ...

There are different types of difficult, too ... I have some extreme
minimalist stuff that I actually happen to like but drives 99% of the
human race up a wall ...

Charlemagne Palestine's _Strumming Music_ isn't a whole lot more than
almost an hour of a guy plonking the same two notes on a big piano over
and over and over, though the sound of it becomes HUGE by the end.

Phill Niblock's _Four Full Flutes_ recording sets up one flute tone in one
of your headphones and then one -- slightly removed in pitch -- in the
other one, then changes them slightly so that the 'flutter' through your
head changes tempo over time, and does that for over 20 minutes (and there
are four pieces).

Alan Lamb's 'wires and wind' music, made by electronic amplification of
the wind passing through a few miles of telephone wires on his Australian
property, is pretty, uh, well, minimal isn't the right word ...

And so on.

Dr. Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.lonestar.org