[Jandek] Jandek Survey

Bradleybee bradleybee at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 10:02:15 PDT 2006

Are you male or female?
Male

How old are you?
36

What part of the world do you come from?
Houston

How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?
I read Byron Coley's piece in Spin, noticed that he was a local
artist, and drove down to Sound Exchange and picked up some LPs.
 At the time all the early LPs were out of print, even though I
did pick up a used copy of Six and Six for the discounted price
of $3 instead of $4 for the sealed ones.  The ones that were
still in print were from the rich collaborative era:  0753 Blue
Corpse through 0759 Lost Cause.  Mabye if I was first exposed to
some of the solo, pure Jandek rather than the "applied" Jandek
then I might not have been as receptive as I was, but who knows?
 After listening to Blue Corpse & On the Way I knew I had to
hear every note.

How do you define being a Jandek fan?
You have to appreciate what he does (to a certain extent) and
listen to his music (to a certain extent.)

Do you consider yourself a Jandek fan?
YES

Why did you join the mailing list?
I joined the mailing list because it exists.  This is a place
where I belong :D

How often do you post?
Every so often...

Do you use the digest format?
No

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?
The discussion doesn't occur.  I try not to waste my time trying
to turn other people on to the music I like to listen to.  It
always turns out to be a frustrating, fruitless endeavor.

What do they think about you listening to Jandek?
They think I'm crazy :D

To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek' – the mystery
surrounding his identity – appeal to you?
It quickly transformed from intriguing to tolerable.  I would
love to have seen him playing in local art-spaces in the '80's
and '90s!!!  However, while other DIY artists of his era worked
to kill or at least redefine the rock-star, Mr. Smith simply
named, then dis-embodied his inner-rock star.  It's an admirable
and revolutionary act.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling
Smith for reasons other than placing an order?
Nope.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?
These people have a two-way, rather than a one-way relationship
with music.

Why do you like Jandek?
Raw emotion srtipped of artifice.

How often do you listen to Jandek?
Sometimes I have month-long marathons, sometimes I don't listen
to any for months.

What other music do you listen to?
I like other local artists like Culturcide, Rotten Piece, Rusted
Shut, Susan Alcorn.  I like some bizarre avant-garde music, some
cheezy pop music, some rock.  Neil Young, Steve Miller, Todd
Rundgren, The Cure, Sonic Youth, Lisa Germano & Current 93 are
some old favorites.  I've recently been collecting Tammy Wynette
& Ray Price recordings.

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell
me?
It's fun living up to the reputation of being a Jandek fan :D

ayche tee tee pee colon slash slash double you double you double you dot geocities dot com slash bradleybee