[Jandek] NEWCASTLE SUNDAY vs. Bootleg...

Yuval Legendtofski legendtofski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 21:55:56 PST 2006

I just recieved my copy of NEWCASTLE SUNDAY and I must say I think the
bootleg that's available on P2P networks kicks it's arse. I found NEWCASTLE
SUNDAY to have little life in the sound, obviously it was done straight off
the mixing board, but the dynamics are stifled - it sound like a studio
recording and a bad one at that. The Gatehead2005 bootlegs have a very funky
and intense dynamic and Jandek's guitar has more oomph, also the rhythm
section sounds more intense than on NS. It's an interesting situation as I
felt that GLASGOW SUNDAY the official disc was totally superior to the
bootleg.

Either way this debunks the over-sensitive hoo-haa some tossers made over
live bootlegging especially in regards to Jandek's work, bootlegging of live
gigs is an essential component to remembering the 'essence' of a great live
rock moment. I suggest they get some corrective therapy via Clinton Heylin's
fantastic book *Bootleg!: The Rise & Fall of the Secret Recording Industry.*