[Jandek] Re: Napping With Jandek

Joe Faust boddekker at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 05:40:24 PST 2006

> I smell a weekly cable show. "Napping with Jandek".
> "This week Jandek
> takes a nap with horror director Eli Roth, and
> political commentator
> Arianna Huffington." And then they just sit in their
> respective
> interview chairs, everybody's got a blanket on, with
> the TV mic clipped
> to it, and then they sleep pretty much silently
> onscreen for a half
> hour. Then that's it, the shows over.
>
> It'd be huge.
>
> But honestly, for about 10 years, Graven Image was
> the only Jandek
> album I had, and my relationship with the album was
> like this: I put it
> on once and fell sorta half-asleep, and hovering
> there in Alpha I had
> all kinds of crazy, weird-o dreams, with the Jandek
> music seeming to
> dictate the events and the imagery and whatnot. So
> for years after that
> I would always put on Graven Image if I was going to
> take a
> mid-afternoon nap, and it often had the same effect.

Wait, wait... I can see it...

The Jandek Nap Room - coming soon to a strip mall near you...

b.---Most interesting of all, a guitar store is the only place in the known universe where a guy will allow himself to shop like a woman, spending half an hour, an hour, two hours trying a dozen guitars with only the faintest possibility of actually buying something, playing a few licks, swapping a few lies, while in the background someone plays the opening bars of "Stairway to Heaven."Tim Brookes,Guitar: An American Life---