[Jandek] Cancer

CJ Marsicano sempai at cjmarsicano.com
Fri Jul 21 19:01:27 PDT 2006

With all the talk of speculating on whether an illness has influenced
any of Jandek's lyrical output of late, let me throw in my two cents on
something else related to both The Man From Corwood and illness.

I've been playing Mr. Smith's stuff on random shuffle on my iPod all
morning, and "It's Your House" from Put My Dream On This Planet came
on.  I would dare hypothesise that Mr. Smith actually recorded these
albums on a handheld microcassette recorder while he was recovering at
home from chemotherapy - assuming that he had a flirtation with cancer.
  With "It's Your House" in particular, I would guess from the lyrics
that the house Jandek wants to build is a masoleum, as he was thinking
at the time he "wrote" and recorded "It's Your House" that he was
contemplating the possibility of not being a cancer survivor.