[Jandek] Re: jandek on corwood

Amy Kelly akelly1971 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:41:30 PST 2006

On 1/4/06, Terence Enright <guy_fawkes99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   I'm note sure what Jacob means.  I'd say a huge chunk of the movie was
> about Jandek's identity, not his music.  And if you read the interviews with
> the filmmakers, that's all they were interested in--or rather, the lack of
> information about that identity.

I'm not sure which interviews with the filmmakers you read. When they
interviewed me for the movie, they seemed very interested in the music
and didn't ask me to conjecture on my theories as to who Corwood is,
etc. They were very respectful, and both were very into the music (I
think Chad was the one who introduced Paul to the Corwood catalog, but
they both liked Jandek before deciding to make a film).

I'd guess a lot of the fawning hipsterism was just the interview
subjects going off on tangents, not responding to specific questions.

>   That movie was swarming with fawning hipsters, who sometimes discussed his
> identity directly and sometime sindirectly by making assumptions about his
> music informed by the lack of identity info.

I wouldn't say it was swarming with hipsters...I'd say a couple people
who really like the sound of their own voices tend to dominate the
film. At least it was kind of interesting to see what some of these
people look like. And it was intriguing to watch.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Gary Pig Gold is pretty much the
antithesis of hipster, and Angela Sawyer (whom I've never met) seems
very down-to-earth. I thought what they had to say was particularly
interesting. Dr. Demento doesn't strike me as too hip, either,
although I don't recall him saying anything memorable.

Just some thoughts. =)

Amy Frushour Kelly