[Jandek] Call for performers for radio broadcast: Open Mic Jandek Cover Night, Pittsburgh

Maurice Rickard maurice at mac.com
Sat Feb 18 12:42:48 PST 2006

I keep meaning to post about this, and now March is coming up a lot
faster than I'd thought.  Here's the deal: Open Mic Jandek Cover
Night (traditionally Nov. 5) is always a blast.  So now, we're doing
one live on the radio.  CMU's station WRCT (88.3 FM,
http://www.wrct.org/ for Internet streaming) has a live performance
show on Thursday nights, and I've reserved Thursday, March 9 (9PM to
10PM EST) for another Open Mic Jandek Cover Night.

So I'm looking for Pittsburgh area performers willing to cover Our
Man Janky.  You'll have to be available to be in WRCT's studios (on
the Carnegie Mellon campus) from 7:30 to 10PM on 3/9/06.  I'd figure
that in the hour, we'd have time for a bunch of people to do two to
three songs each.  So far I have two people booked, which means I
need more.  I'm not inclined to turn anybody away--if we had a lot of
people, we'd cut it to one song.  One thing that is important,
though, is being able to do a quick changeover (if everyone shows up
with a full band with their own drum kit, or has weird technical
issues with their gear, it's not going to work).

Unfinished Symphonies will be there, doing his tunes on keyboard;
I'll be rocking the uke.  Alternative instrumentation is welcome, and
indeed encouraged.  (I'm trying to get Steve Pellegrino to reprise
his glorious cover of "Harmonica" on accordion.)  So what does
everyone else have? Sousaphone? Alpenhorn?  Saz?  Shruti box?  Bring
'em on.  (Guitar is, of course, welcome as well.)

If you're interested, please email me off-list, so I can coordinate
this and get you the logistical information you'll need.  If you're
not in Pittsburgh, listen over the 'net.  If you're plain not
interested, well, this is just the latest way in which the world has
failed to engage you, so roll your eyes and sigh with weary ennui.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/