[Jandek] Glasgow Sunday DVD review

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Fri Aug 4 19:50:20 PDT 2006

I've sort of wondered if his refusal to include band info is cause he doesn't know how to bill himself. We call him Jandek, but he's been pretty open that "Jandek" is more of a concept, and "Sterling Smith" isn't Jandek (as we've been told countless times). Jandek is to be an anonymous collective, but that idea worked best on the studio albums, which come from SOME time, but we don't know exactly WHAT time.

In that regard, you'd think he wouldn't mention the date and place of recording, but he does, and that's the part that stumps me - why that and not the players? All are public knowledge.

 And then there's the DVD! Camera 1 is entirely focused on the Man, showing that he recognizes that people will want to see this view. And, obviously, he writes the songs (it works musically like a jazz band - everybody contributes but only one guy calls the shots). That makes Jandek more like collectives such as the Fall, the Mountain Goats or Sparklehorse - bands that sometimes have other people around, but that we all know are pretty much one guy.

 Historically, most of his albums are closest to the Residents (as far as identity goes - not the music, for the most part) BUT the Residents ALWAYS credited Snakefinger with the stellar guitar work on their late 70's albums. So could Corwood not have said "featuring contributions from Richard Youngs on bass and Alex Neilson on drums," and simply not billed himself? Note that the Seattle show has already been announced "with the same band as the Portland show." After Toronto and Chicago (and I'm now going to BOTH btw - anyone else going to Toronto?) we'll know who those bands - if there are any - are, so why not publish the info?

I don't know, but it's one of the last "rules" that he's sticking with. I can only say that having heard the first three shows by this band, I am continually amazed by the telepathic ability they have to read each other. Everything syncs, and you'd think they'd been playing together for years (was Alex even born when 'Ready for the House' came out?).

So this email's getting too long, but I'd love to hear other people's comments on this. Should he start listing band members on the discs or keep them anonymous? I mean, he's gonna do what he's gonna do regardless - we know that. But how do the rest of you all feel?