[Jandek] has anybody analyzed the lyrics in a scholarly manner?

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Fri Apr 28 08:16:14 PDT 2006

Had to reply to this cause interestingly I read it immediately after listening to Neil Young's "Revolution Blues." For those who don't know it, it includes such lyrics as "well I hear that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars/I hate them worse than lepers and we'll shoot them in their cars."

Obviously Neil is not going to do this. It is reflective of his, how should one say it, unique perspective on things (check "Powderfinger" as well) but I think it's how he gets the demons out.  This, to me, is what Jandek does. I've listened to the new album MANY times now (more than most of the studio albums of late) and it possesses some real violence (both internally and externally focused), but it's a violence close, I think, to what Neil was doing in the aforementioned song.

Just thoughts.

Danen