[Jandek] survey & Paul Williams

Amber M begmebitch at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 03:04:34 PDT 2006

I have no idea what this is about, but I couldn't resist...

How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?

I had a profile on alt.com, looking for kinky guys I could have my way with.
I always ask them to tell me what music they listen to. The number one
response is Coldplay. This one guy caught my attention, who it turned out
was my roommate's girlfriend's brother. He was into a bunch of stuff I
liked, and though I decided not to play with him, I did check out Jandek
based on his suggestion, and immediately loved it. Then I met this other guy
on alt who sent me an amazing album list (guess who was on it), and he also
had great taste in food and booze and was generally fantastic, so maybe I
started to develop a positive association there. They're both married now.

To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery surrounding his
identity – appeal to you?

I find him a likeable, interesting character, but that wouldn't be enough to
sustain my interest alone.

What other music do you listen to?

Lately: Cindytalk, Kids on TV, Baby Dee, Laura Cantrell, Dolly Parton,
Psychic Ills, Fleetwood Mac, Hall & Oates, Miami bass stuff, Daniel
Johnston, Souled American, Martha Wainwright, Eazy E, Bee Gees, John
Vanderslice, Christina Carter, Gurdjieff, Roky Erickson, Eddie Hinton, King
Creosote, Tim Hardin, Diam's...

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

I just saw Paul Williams watch his own songs get performed by July 4th
Toilet and he seemed really pleased! They did 'Fill Your Heart' (co-written
with Biff Rose, also recorded by Bowie & Tiny Tim), 'Rainbow Connection'
(the Muppet Movie), ones from Phantom of the Paradise and Ishtar. Fun!

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.