[Jandek] Jandek: Jandek Survey

robert_ham at comcast.net robert_ham at comcast.net
Mon Apr 24 10:00:35 PDT 2006

***Are you male or female?

 male

***How old are you?

30

***What part of the world do you come from?

 Portland, OR USA

 ***How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?

 I used to pinch my brother's copies of SPIN Magazine back in the day and read
the little article written up by Byron Coley, listing him as one of the 10 most
interesting artists of the '80s. I always remembered that article but never
thought I'd find his music. That is until I came across a vinyl copy of
"Telegraph Melts" at a thrift store. I was hooked immediately.

***How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider yourself a Jandek
fan?

Initially, I came at it from an 'outsider art' standpoint and always thought of
him as this bizarre sycophant who was foisting his bizarre musical vision on the
world thinking it was normal 'pop' music or something like that. After hearing
album upon album,  it dawned on me that Jandek knew exactly what he was doing
and could be seen as one of the best avant garde musicians working today.

***Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you post? Do you use
 the digest format?

I am a fan and love to read what other fans have to say about him. This would be
my first post to the list though.

***What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

My brother understands and is a fan. Taking my wife to see him live here in
Portland completely turned her around on him. She initally saw him as a kind of
odd novelty that I indulged in but thought the performance was enthralling and
amazing. God knows if she'll attempt to listen to any of his records, but it's a
step in the right direction.

***What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

They have no problem with it.

 ***To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek'? the mystery surrounding his
identity? appeal to you?

Admittedly, that's part of the appeal to me. His music may be enough to keep him
out of the spotlight, but considering how many musicians clamor for any kind of
public attention, knowing that there are people like him who eschew most kinds
of self-promotion and fan baiting makes me quite happy.

***Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling Smith
 for reasons other than placing an order?

I can't say that I have.

 ***What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

I get the impression that they are music geeks like me who appreciate all manner
of musical expression and can appreciate Jandek's albums both intellectually and
on a more visceral, emotional level.

***Why do you like Jandek?

There is no one making music like he is that is so pure and honest and
heartwrenching. It's not easy to listen to but every record hits me in all the
right places.

 ***How often do you listen to Jandek?

Fairly often during the week.

 ***What other music do you listen to?

There are no genres that I can't appreciate.

***Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

Nope.

-Bob Ham