[Jandek] Survey says...

The Enchanter Tim doesabearwoof at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 04:19:33 PDT 2006

Are you male or female?

Nominally male (though there are times my perception of male behaviour in
the world makes me long to be a big old separatist bulldyke ;) )

How old are you?

quivering on the edge of 39

What part of the world do you come from?

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?

I read about him in SPIN a long time ago.  Then I read the Chusid book and
got the compilation.  Eventually, when I got to somewhere where I could find
his CDs (i.e. New York in 2005), got a whole bunch (and then got a few more
in Toronto last year, and ordered the tributes in a store...I've had a few
bad experiences with ordering CDs in the mail, so I'm reluctant...)

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider
yourself a Jandek fan?

Well, an appreciation of the music and/or artist (in my mind, it's possible
to separate the two in a sense - you can hate the image of a person but like
their art, for example...).  As I said a while ago, when you can WHISTLE a
Jandek tune, you're a fan. ;)

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
post? Do you receive posts in digest format?

Curiosity, a sense of fellowship, and, yes, I get it in digest.

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?
What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

Well, I only have one other friend who's heard Jandek, and he doesn't care
for him.  I can't say I've ever had any curiosity about what he thinks about
me listening to Jandek.  I've yet to inflict Jandek on the boyfriend, so
we'll see.  Considering the only time he's asked me to turn off music was at
about minute 15 of MIND TRAIN by Yoko Ono, he's pretty tough.

To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery
surrounding his identity – appeal to you?

To some extent.  I find the notion of 'reclusiveness' fascinating, if only
because it seems to be defined as 'doesn't talk to the media'.  By that
token, most of us are recluses.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
order? What happened?

Yes.  Sent a copy of some of my music.  No reply.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

I'm sure they're wonderful, terrible, nice, nasty, like the rest of
humanity.

Why do you like Jandek?

I don't quite get why people think the music is weird.  But, then, I
consciously listen to Yoko Ono and Half Japanese, so my world view may be
skewed.  I find the performances and lyrics catchy and memorable.

How often do you listen to Jandek?

Occasionally.  I was listening to BLUE CORPSE last week, and I tossed
HUMILITY OF PAIN into my backpack, but then some music arrived at my PO Box
I had to review, so didn't listen to it that day.

What other music do you listen to?

Oh, a fairly wide range of stuff.  Not much that is currently pop.  Lately,
Sister Rosetta Tharpe, of all things.

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like
to tell me?

My shoe size is 11 1/2.