[Jandek] That Jandek Survey

Phil Harwell paharwell at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 16:32:26 PDT 2006

> Are you male or female?

Definitely.

> How old are you?

I'm older than I've ever been.  And now I'm even
older.

> What part of the world do you come from?

The outer surface.

> How did you get into Jandek? What is your
�story�?

I'm currently still on the outside of Jandek for the
time being.  Plans to be shrunken to microscopic size
and injected into his bloodstream are scrapped for
budgetary reasons.

> How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you
> consider yourself a Jandek fan?
> Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
> post? Do you use the digest format?

*ERROR:  witty answers not found.

> What do your friends and family think about Jandek?
> What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

They don't.

> To what extent does the �myth of Jandek� � the
> mystery
> surrounding his identity � appeal to you?

Way more than the myth of fingerprints.

> Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
> Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
> order? What happened?

It all happened so fast....

> What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

I have yet to perceive other Jandek fans.

> Why do you like Jandek?

I don't know the guy.  Music's okay though.

> How often do you listen to Jandek?

*ERROR:  witty answer not found.  Also failed to
enable original response.

> What other music do you listen to?

What is this "other" music to which you refer?

> Is there anything I have not asked that you would
> like
> to tell me?

My shoe size is 10 1/2.

*******
Serious answers:

> Are you male or female?

> How old are you?

27

> What part of the world do you come from?

Currently living in Memphis, TN, USA.

> How did you get into Jandek? What is your
�story�?

Saw a blurb on a music news site when "The End of It
All" came out.

> How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you
> consider
> yourself a Jandek fan?

You are a fan if you really like the music;  no other
criteria.  I'm a fan.

> Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
> post? Do you use the digest format?

it's nice to be in a community of people that like the
same music as me.  infrequently post.  no digest.

> What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

my wife can't stand him; my brother seems somewhat
fascinated.  no other interactions on this subject.

> What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

as long as she can't hear it, my wife doesn't mind.

> To what extent does the �myth of
Jandek� � the
> mystery
> surrounding his identity � appeal to you?

a lot.  very fascinating indeed.

> Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
> Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
> order? What happened?

no, although I did ask a question with my order.  no
response.

> What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

really I don't have a perception.  we're all
different, y'know.

> Why do you like Jandek?

I love weird, "out there" stuff, and music of nearly
all kinds.

> How often do you listen to Jandek?

these days, about as often as he comes up on the iPod.
 historically, only occasionally.  gotta get in the
mood for it.

> What other music do you listen to?

way too many to list here.  lately, favorites include
Half-Handed Cloud, Danielson Famile, Duvall, Sufjan,
and TMBG.

> Is there anything I have not asked that you would
> like
> to tell me?

Not anymore.

Phil