[Jandek] Jandek Fan Ethnography

Tony Rogers kirkwoodrogers at verizon.net
Mon Apr 17 07:17:02 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: jandek-bounces at mylist.net [mailto:jandek-bounces at mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Joe Henry
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:59 AM
To: Lauren Ciechanowski; jandek at mylist.net
Subject: Re: [Jandek] Jandek Fan Ethnography

I'm sending this out to the list too, and encourage
others to send theirs, I think they'll make an
interesting read.

Are you male or female?
Male

How old are you?
45

What part of the world do you come from?
keyser, west virginia

How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?
I think a friend of mine had heard about it in the  early 90s but Im not
totally sure. I got em all as soon as I heard the first one- but I dont
really have a clear memory of the start.

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider
yourself a Jandek fan?
I refuse to be played by such a concept but I have em all.

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
post? Do you receive posts in digest format?
recently. not much. no digest.

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?
What do they think about you listening to Jandek?
My wife forbids me to play it when my kids are around-they are 2 yrs old but
I ve done it after she left and they dont seem too disturbed by the sound.
Children are very open to dissonace and other concepts
 which fall out of the standard box most people paint themselves into
evetually, like watching any major tv series on cbs,nbc, abc, fox etc..

To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery
surrounding his identity – appeal to you?
It did a lot. Now I feel he's broken alot of that down.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
order? What happened?
No. I get mine from FE.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?
I try not to judge.

Why do you like Jandek?
I dont really know-it's art rather than normalcy.

How often do you listen to Jandek?
As much as the others I like in music.once a week or so..a new cd will be
more

What other music do you listen to?
I cant sum it up here..many many many syles and genres, etc..all but redneck
country.

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like
to tell me?
yes