[Jandek] Anthology Archive Show Sept 6, 2005

Jumbalaya Negro couchsong at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:03:59 PDT 2005

I am glad to say that I successfully made my way down from Maine with my
fellow band mate, spending time listening to Jandek, Interobang and Dr.
Bluepen and His Wandering What (our band) in an intense trip.  Getting lost
in New York in the Harlem area and some in the Brooklyn area was definitely
a head screw.. but eventually we arrived at Anthology and quickly made
friends with an amazing group of Jandek fans, lead by the early bird, the
first in line, an enchanting musician by the first name of Preston (from the
band The Sewing Circle).  We sat in line eating Teddy Grahams and laughing,
chatting with passersby.  A genuinely great time.  After around two hours of
sitting, i decided to stand up and shake out my legs.  I hear a door slam
and lo and behold, I spin to see the representative himself walking away in
black dress pants, black boots, a (?light blue dress shirt ?) and his black
hat.  The small amount of people there froze in suspense.  Where was jandek
walking to in New York all alone?  The mystery continues.

As the crowd grew, many recognizable people started popping up.  I saw Marky
Ramone walk by us in line .. he was apparently giving an interview he walked
towards us up E 2nd st.  and turned up 2nd Ave. Thurston Moore and Lee
Ranaldo of Sonic Youth entered the venue a little while before us, and
waiting in the reserved ticket line were Gary Pig Gold, Eric S. from
Summerstep Records and Amy Frushour (all interviewees on the Jandek on
Corwood DVD).  I also got interviewed by a reporter from The New Yorker who
was apparently writing a piece about the mystique of Jandek and his venture
into live performance (specifically the three New York shows).

The final bizarre thing to happen while waiting in line happened maybe 10
minutes before going in.  A well dressed man walked up to us, handed us a
slip of paper and then disappeared into the crowd.
The piece of paper basically gave us the rights to release a remix of "Your
Other Man" off of "BLUE CORSPE" as long as we gave the representative from
Corwood reference and stated that the song was written by him.  Also it
specifically stated for it to be a limited edition 7" with a 300 unit
pressing.  The little note was just signed Corwood.  I was hoping to find
out if anyone else had received any of these slips too... i hope so.

As for the show i will keep my statements to a minimum.

Jandek is the most honest musician i have ever heard, he was interstellar
and shocking in real life.

The drummer and bass player were a great back drop for jandeks piano
workings.

and this is were the tirade begins

The guitar player did many things that I felt were unbelievably rude and
uncool.

First off he was drunk and wandered on the stage with a drink (many of times
throughout the performance he would stop playing all together and sip off of
his drink)
He seemed to be making faces at Jandek and Jandek seemed extremely put off
by his attitude on stage.  During the last two and a half songs.. he
completely unplugged his guitar (making a giantly loud cracking noise to
which Jandek glared)  and he sat there for those two songs plugging his ears
and grimacing while everyone else rocked out around him.  I noticed him also
take a baggie out of his pocket and ingest some type of pill or something.
And when the the show was over he plugged his cord back into his pedal
making another loud noise only to realize that the show was over, as the
other musicians and jandek left the stage, the guitar player left the stage
with his guitar, walking away from his amp resulting in ripping the cord out
of his amp...

The guitar players actually playing was awesome, but his demeanor was beyond
horrible.

Overall I didnt let it ruin my fun

I hope everyone enjoyed it and i would be interested in hearing anyone
else's view on the guitar players action.