[Jandek] "Say Cheese"

Amy Kelly akelly1971 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:00:08 PDT 2005

Seth, you're absolutely right. A couple of LJ bloggers who are Jandek fans
have criticized it (see user "nhennies," for one). I thought I made it clear
in my post about him seeming taken aback that I didn't approve of it, but
maybe that didn't come through.
 The fact of the matter is, it's not right to go up and take a picture of
someone you don't know, without their permission, and post it on the
internet. Legal, probably, but wrong in every important way. There was no
reason to disrespect the representative from Corwood. He's not an enigma,
he's not some mythic or public figure. He's a man who's been kind enough to
share his work with us, and who is more than generous to anyone who writes
with a question or request. To interrupt him so rudely was disrespectful
enough. Posting it on the internet is horrifying.
 And as for the photos and stuff on your site, Seth, that's comparing apples
to oranges. The site is respectful and well-maintained, and it's clear that
its only reason for existence is to share an appreciation and understanding
of Jandek. It's a wonderful resource and I'm sure Corwood is quite honored
by your work.
 Amy

--
Check out my short stories at