[Jandek] New Spoken Word Album

Beverly Posuiy allofthetrash at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:44:00 PST 2005

Checked my mail today and found the latest album from Corwood waiting in my
box: "Dying To Meet You", catalog number 0782. The cover looks like it could
be from the same roll as "The Beginning" and "On The Way": a murky,
desaturated picture of what could be his bathroom, with what looks like a
row of personal hygiene products silhouetted against the window (curtains
closed) over what may be the toilet. This comes hot on the heels of
"Khartoum," probably the closest together Corwood has ever released two
albums, but fans who have gotten used to the sound of the last couple of
years of Jandek releases are in for a big surprise: on the album's nine
tracks, there is no bass, guitar, or even drum accompaniment. Janky has
apparently returned to his infamous a capella period, but long-time fans
should have little to complain about: this is one of the man's most
revealing and heart-felt works to date. As a taste for those who have not
yet received their copies, I have uploaded to my webspace the first track,
my personal favorite song from this album: "I Went Down." It is available,
probably only for a limited time, at this URL:
http://www.jamhandy.com/ma/Jandek-I_Went_Down.mp3

------
Together Forever