[Jandek] John Jacob Niles

alextl at fsmail.net alextl at fsmail.net
Sun Oct 30 12:55:19 PST 2005

is there any cds that are esy to get hold of? The records are probably to expensive.

> Message Received: Oct 30 2005, 08:29 PM
> From: "S Smith"
> To: jandek at mylist.net
> Subject: Re: [Jandek] John Jacob Niles

I wonder how Niles got into that style? After seeing him on the Dylan doc. I realize there's a definite lineage to what Jandek's taking on that goes further back than I had thought. No doubt. Here's a quote from Dylan's Chronicles Vol. 1 page 239 about the Niles influence.

        "I listened a lot to John Jacob Niles record, too. Niles was nontraditional, but he sang traditional songs. A Mephistophelean character out of Carolina, he hammered away at some harplike instrument and sang in a bone chilling soprano voice. Niles was eerie and illogical, terrifically intense and gave you goosebumps. Definitely a switched-on character, almost like a sorcerer. Niles was otherworldly and his voice raged with strange incantations. I listened to "Maid Freed from the Gallows" and "Go Away from My Window" plenty of times."

Shannon

> Mathew Young wrote:

> After being introduced to his music through discussion of John Jacob Niles on
> this list a few months ago I was surprised to see video footage of him in part
> one of the "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home" documentary on PBS last night (part 2
> airs tonight, if you're interested (which you should be)). That guy was
> something else. The looks on the faces of those watching him sing were
> priceless. That voice...
>
> In other news (which I very well might have missed already announced on the
> list) I saw Richard Youngs on the cover of Wire magazine that is on newsstands
> now. Heads up.

Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. >