[Jandek] Jandek live recordings

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Fri Oct 28 05:53:05 PDT 2005

> $8 per disc is hardly "at cost," Danen. I think the exorbitant
> admissionprices for the live shows are further proof that Jandek
> enjoys making money.
> Attendees (such as myself) who saw him in Austin had to pay $28,
> even though
> the show was just a three hour drive from where he lives.

Yeah I paid the money for that show, too. Also agree that it cost a surprising amount, though it was worth every penny. Still, I don't know that I'd say he "enjoys making money" off his music business. (maybe he wanted to justify a new guitar?  Who knows?) And part of my point of saying "at cost" was taking into mind that he sends an awful lot of music off free (his choice, admittedly) and obviously covers any (admittedly small) costs surrounding the recording of his studio sets.  The pro crew that taped the Austin show (and had everybody do that weird "keep your hands in the air" thing at the end) might be part of why the tickets cost so much but I don't know.   If he got a pay day off the live set it's one of the few musical ones he's received of any amount and by this point he's entitled to that.

> But I do agree that no one should download a bootleg instead of
> buying an
> official release.

That was more my point than anything. I shouldn't have been so on the attack in the last email, I guess it frustrates me to see people at a point where they would find it a ridiculous suggestion to buy "every live set he ever releases" as if he's putting them out at unaffordable prices and frequency.  Hell, I just wish he'd put them out!

sorry if I came off too crabby,

Danen