[Jandek] Jandek on myspace?

chthonic streams chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Sat Oct 15 10:06:12 PDT 2005

>And I wouldn't worry too much about the goth crowd. I've known a few
>who liked the image but once they heard the music they bolted. I
>call this the "Pitchforkmedia Jandek affectation" - meaning that
>they love the IDEA of Janky but don't really want to listen to him
>(SEE: the constant stories ABOUT Jandek on pitchfork without ever
>actually talking about the music. To give credit, they DID at least
>review the Austin show)  Most of these people go away soon enough.
>The ones that don't are, like the rest of us on this list, genuinely
>fond of the music and probably good people who like to wear a lot of
>black. As a lifelong Swans and Nick Cave fan I can attest to the
>varying authenticity of "goths" - some of them are nifty people that
>have nothing to do with the stereotype except the clothing.

amen, thanks for that.

there are trendies and fakers in all walks of life, "hipster" and
"goth" just being two more visible examples.  however one can't judge
an entire genre of music or group of people based on the
appearance/actions of a few - or even a perceived majority.

those who are truly into something will keep it as a part of their
lives regardless of anyone else (this includes ignoring the "i don't
like this anymore because it's become too popular" impulse).

d.