[Jandek] And the winner is......?!!?! (JANDEK TOP10 2005)

Thierry Bissonnette thierry.bissonnette.1 at ulaval.ca
Mon Nov 21 18:32:11 PST 2005

Listening to 'When I took that train' and I'm just convinced that this whole
Top Ten thing is just incompatible with Jandek's creative process. Choosing
is killing the obsessive wholenesse diffused here, as different periods
reflect into each other and are part of a monist transformation. Late Jandek
seems an equally important part of the body of work as early or mid-period
for me, in fact, I feel this is one of the 'rules' of the game J.'s
directing in our listeners minds, and none of the arguments discrediting mid
or late recordings appears convincing to me. I just think people project
their listening history/context, and their Top Ten would probably change if
doing the same exercise in a year or two, even if limiting to the 43 first
discs.

Anyway, I just dig SHADOW OF LEAVES, WHEN I TOOK THAT TRAIN and other late
period albums as much as older discs, but above all I'm interested in the
whole thing as a holistic revery. Every album has its flaws that become
qualities when considering them in the jandekian system. One great
installation/composition, not singular albums.

      Thierry

[Jandek] And the winner is......?!!?! (JANDEK TOP10 2005)
Yuval Legendtofski legendtofski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 15:01:53 PST 2005