[Jandek] Tonal vs atonal // favorite Jandek moment

chthonic chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Wed Nov 16 08:18:17 PST 2005

whatever the case, i think he's better off doing his own non-chords.  to me that's the root of
his "sound" (for lack of a better term).  it seems more real, from within.  conventional
chords on guitar i can hear from any number of people.  the songs that are like that bore me,
they sound like any mediocre guitarist playing stock bluesy chords in a guitar shop.

i am, however, dying to hear the piano suite "the cell".  especially interested to see how it
compares to the series of organ-based songs at the anthology archives show.

d.

From: Frank Hardy <soccerdude219 at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:19:45 -0800 (PST)

>1) His friend (Eddie?) stopped hanging out with him for whatever reason: he moved, they
had a falling out, etc. This seems be the most likely explanation. I still refuse to believe
Jandek himself can play anything beyond hackneyed barre chords (a la European Jewel); you
only hear the convential playing when his friends are around.

>  2) Most definitely "It's all right....." from the opening song of Somebody in the Snow. Like
Seth said, when you put it on, there's no way it could not be all right.

>Jeremy Frey <falcon_156 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>    Two more questions:
>
>  1)  Any theories as to why Jandek slowly inched towards normal music (in the late 80s),
then "regressed" back into weirdness?  Not saying one is better than the other, everyone is
entitled to their favorite records.  It's just strange.  Look at 1/2 Japanese.  They started out
banging on pots and pans basically, and look what they built up to.  Does conventional music
scare Jandek?  Does he really not differentiate between any of his albums/styles, and it's just
a coincidence that he had a semi-normal streak?

>  2)  Favorite Jandek moment on album, whether it's a tone, a lyric, what have you?  I think
mine might be the intro riff to "Talk that Talk," even though Jandek himself probably isn't
playing it.  It's such a tasty riff.  Someone should tab it.