[Jandek] Khartoum review from this week's Aquarius Records list

Jonathan Lee jplee at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 16:11:02 PST 2005

JANDEK  "Khartoum"  (Corwood Industries)  cd  8.98
       The 43rd album from the one and only Jandek
is here! Doing his very distinct thing on
acoustic guitar and vocals, a style that has
become known to music nerds far and wide as
"Jandekian", Khartoum is yet another dark, downer
trip into this hermitic Texan's psyche. Well,
maybe he's not so hermitic anymore, but even now
that he's actually making public appearances
(only 27 years after he released his first LP),
his music remains as raw and mysterious as ever.
And "Jandekian" hasn't lost its meaning. Khartoum
consists of alienated, atonal strum-und-twang,
teamed with loosely demented vocals, sometimes
quietly spoken, sometimes pitched to a warbling
holler, delivered with the stream of conciousness
lyrical logic of a homeless poet. These songs,
with titles like "You Wanted To Leave",
"Fragmentation", "I Shot Myself", "In A Chair I
Stare", and "Fork In The Road", seem fixated on
past (broken) relationships, forgiveness, regret,
and despair. Our attempt to transcribe the lyrics
of "I Shot Myself" produced the following: "I
shot myself I can't get up I am beyond repair I
shot myself I'm over some hill beyond the valley
stars in the black night sun filters through
forgetting a mountain time slides in my mind and
I know what it is its time to die..."  Something
like that. Or, from "New Dimension", another of
Khartoum's eight tracks: "You're married, I
presume I'm not looking but if you're not be
careful I'm the vulnerable kind I love to hurt
myself I hurt myself in love and I don't care and
all the spirits in the spirit world don't equal
you because you're gone and I took you for
granted and I miss you so." It's a soul laid
bare, speaking directly but in such an
idiosyncratic manner that it will only be heard
by those with a will to listen. Seriously, his
scrabble of strings and chaotic chording provides
almost a respite from his depressed words and
sometimes excruciatingly miserable wail, one that
at times reminds us of Oxbow's Eugene Robinson.
So... another fine addition to any fan's sagging
Jandek shelf!