[Jandek] Hard to Swallow & Faux Jandek

Joe Faust boddekker at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 06:04:24 PST 2005

> 1) Sorry if this has been discussed already, but:
> besides the spoken word albums, what one Jandek
> album is the hardest to swallow?  Why?

Of the 18 I have (and that includes a volume of spoken
word), the only one I choke on is White Box Requiem.
I'm just not into tinkly, high-strung, repetitive
guitar soloing.

> 2) Wouldn't it be cool if Jandek was on Austin City
> Limits?

Yeah.  That's how I discovered Joe Ely and Lyle
Lovett.  Janky would be a harder sell than those
folks, I suspect.

While I'm writing, I have to ask - why go to the
trouble of doing a remix of faux Jandek when there's
so much great material from the original?  Look at Lee
Rosevere's remix of "Lavender" as an example.

b.---Most interesting of all, a guitar store is the only place in the known universe where a guy will allow himself to shop like a woman, spending half an hour, an hour, two hours trying a dozen guitars with only the faintest possibility of actually buying something, playing a few licks, swapping a few lies, while in the background someone plays the opening bars of "Stairway to Heaven."Tim Brookes,Guitar: An American Life---