[Jandek] bad_dreams@elvis.com's genius post (WAS: Jandek as gay favourite/show tunes...)

LiLiPUT1 at aol.com LiLiPUT1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 4 12:26:34 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/4/05 11:17:58 AM, bad_dreams at elvis.com writes:

> i thought that he was a rather handsome fellow and had a hard time
> connecting his physical appearance to the music on the record, which had me believing
> for a while that the
> man on the covers was not the musician

This was a really brilliant post, Bad Dreams. For me, SIX AND SIX is the
apotheosis of this idea. The cover shows Jandek at his cutest (fave fantasy:
fresh-faced Jandek leaves the photo booth and mere seconds later he has his first
homosex in the bus station bathroom; makes $15 off of it too - not bad for 1
963). But it contains THE scariest music of his career (even scarier than those
spoken words). How could such a pretty, innocent-looking boy make such
Halloween-ready sounds?

Well, really, that's not the point. Any-looking person can make any-sounding
music. But the possbility that this young guy (who eventually grew up in
pictures) had nothing to do with these sounds was (and still is) fascinating.

A few years ago at a pop music conference in Montréal, I presented a paper on
this very notion of the possible disconnect between photo and music. I'm now
retooling it from a queer angle with the help of a terrific essay by Jonathan
Flatley on Warhol's use of the face (reference below). So I've definitely
picked up the scent; others must have too.

Of course, the fact that face matched music all along definitely does NOT
delegitimize that initial hook for us gay (and other, I imagine) folks. But as an
incorrigible postmodernist, I do admit that I was a tad disappointed (unless,
of course, us live show attendees actually witnessed a hologram rather than
the flesh and bone Sterling - hey, it could happen!).

Naive question - what's the difference between faggots and actual gay people?
I honestly don't know.

xo,

Kevin John

Flatley, Jonathan. “Warhol Gives Good Face: Publicity and the Politics of
Prosopopoeia.” Jennifer Doyle, Jonathan Flatley, and José Esteban Muñoz, eds. Pop
Out Queer Warhol. Durham: Duke University Press, 1996.