[Jandek] Live 'bootlegs' and wanky hoaxes

Frank Hardy soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 09:42:06 PST 2005

"Because those albums are Sterling Smith at his most real. You get the human being, not the musician. I understand why people wouldn't care for them, but that's why they are important albums in his discography. They are very love/hate albums, but his most personal."

Yeah, they're definitely important, but I miss Jandek the poet, who found broader, more artistic ways to say he was depressed instead of just yelling "I'm gonna show you a little bit of my depression!" (even though that is an awesome song). It's almost like he's given up the idea of poetry altogether, just sending off bursts of existential musings into the void to try to arrive at some kind of personal catharsis- maybe I'm selfish but I liked it better when were were invited along for the ride.

Dave Parent <dave9199 at lycos.com> wrote:Because those albums are Sterling Smith at his most real. You get the human being, not the musician. I understand why people wouldn't care for them, but that's why they are important albums in his discography. They are very love/hate albums, but his most personal.