[Jandek] Re: 3 Jandek questions for The Dallas Morning News

Flcon18Fan at aol.com Flcon18Fan at aol.com
Sat May 28 05:50:04 PDT 2005

This idea of Jandek's mystique being cultivated is almost  impossible. He has
shunned public appearances for over 30 years, not  just since an audience was
developed. Anyone who has any sense at all would have  abandoned such a
"business model" long long ago. Based on his lyrics he seems  very intelligent and
NOT crazy. Even today I'm sure that his CD sales are  not much more than self
financing, which is his goal in my opinion. If  this idea was correct then he
would become even more mysterious now that it's  proven to work. Not less so.
He has done many things to indicate  that he does want to sell CDs and get his
music out there but nothing to market  them in any kind of active way. People
who have wanted his stuff have been able  to get it.
I dought that he is simply trying to protect his personal life and space
however. There are many ways an artist can make themselves available for
promotional purposes with out giving up any personal information at all and many  do
that.
My guess is he has Social Phobia. I know someone with this and he has most
of the same symptoms. They are NOT crazy acting at all and completely capable
of  functioning normally provided they are not the center of attention or have
to deal with strangers often. They are not actually afraid of the public,
just  anxious and uncomfortable. Otherwise they are perfectly normal and  Not
paranoid or  schizophrenic at all. Its exactly the  same as being shy only
turned up to 11.
I'm sure that he is happy to have a loyal fan base and maybe his going live
was simply an effort to reward them.

_http://www.socialphobia.org/_ (http://www.socialphobia.org/)

I've got a few questions for those that went.
Was there any press there?
Did anyone try to hang around and meet him  or get  a photo  at all after the
show?