[Jandek] Jandek and Skip James

rangoon rangoon at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 12 18:18:41 PDT 2005

> The only relationship I  hear between Jandek and my John Fahey albums
> is just solomn guitar play.

I've always felt that the the way 'Later On' ends with 'The Second
End' and its 'Joy To The World/Hallelujah' lyric evoked the same way
'Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes', 'The Transfiguration
of Blind Joe Death' & 'The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party' all
end with hymns ('Episcopal Hymn', 'Saint Patrick's Hymn' & 'Oh Come,
Oh Come Emanuel' respectively), and, although these are all obviously
instrumental, the playing on 'The Second End' does have a Fahey-esque
reveling in the ringing tones of the open strings...but this is
probably just coincidence.

Gavin

mailto:rangoon at ntlworld.com