[Jandek] Why Glasgow, Newcastle, UK?

krakow krakow81 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 08:26:35 PDT 2005

This topic has come up in one of the other discussions, with a
suggestion that a possible motivation for Jandek coming over to the UK
to perform was that the UK is more receptive to experimental music.
I'm not really convinced of this argument; the experimental music
scene could hardly be considered unhealthy over in the US from what I
see and hear.

Does anyone have any other thoughts & ideas as to why Jandek has so
far performed only here in the UK?

Do you think there's any significance to his choice of events and locations?

I'm interested in both the two recent performances, at the festival in
Newcastle, and here at the CCA in Glasgow, and also the initial
surprise appearance at Instal last year, also here in Glasgow.
Why did Jandek choose to break his 25 year period of not doing any
live appearances at Instal, Glasgow in particular, rather than
anywhere else?

Can we read anything into his having done two gigs in Glasgow? Maybe a
connection to the city?

It could be, of course, that there is no real significance to his
choice of when to appear, that these events were simply those that
were offered or practical for him to appear at.

To me, it seems likely that the sheer distance from home is/was a
factor, making it slightly easier than doing gigs close to home would
be.
I also wonder if he's visited these places before. Has anyone
dissected the Jandek catalogue for possible references to the UK, or
even Glasgow in his lyrics?

yours

krakow