[Jandek] Criticism

Davidson Roberts soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 20:53:59 PDT 2005

I think it lies in the vocals. His current voice is deep, creepy, end-of-his-rope moaning, whereas his younger self, while basically making the same inflections, was a lot easier to swallow, simply because of the higher timbre. Also, he doesn't seem to deviate at all from the drawn out moaning lines, whereas in the past he had a few different ways of delivering his lyrics (shouts, attempts at singing, etc.). I don't know if that really helped, but it's the best I can muster.

-Dave

Dave Parent <dave9199 at lycos.com> wrote:
I feel the same way. I very recently sent a post about the same thing but only a couple people responded. I too would like to like
these albums. I'm very slowly adjusting to them and excepting them for what they are. But the content of the most recent albums
sounds awkward. If you look past that, the music is still what we've been used to, but it's the vocal delivery & some of the content
about relationship(s) that's changed. It's difficult to write about, but yet, you hear it instantly. It's hard to make an argument: His
recent albums sound the same; so did his first albums, what's the difference? And yet, having heard all of these albums, there
clearly is a big difference, but how do you descibe it? There's my question back to you Dave.

The other Dave