[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 53, Issue 31

spoon-unit spoon-unit at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 12:39:50 PST 2005

I hope I am not considered to be someone Œdisturbedı by the idea of
Christian themes in Jandekıs music.

All I am suggesting is that it is not possible to infer from such usage that
the author is a Christian ­ he lives in a country formed by Christianity
that ha developed a number of very vivid and visionary strands of the
religion and he will be only too well aware of the language and imagery of
the faith, but the use of that language and imagery does nothing to prove
the religious proclivities of the artist. This in no way infers any
disapproval on my part, or indeed any wish that Jandek is not a Christian.
It would come as no surprise that someone as driven would also have a devout
religious practice as part of their life... but I still stand by my
assertion that there is no  proof and that to suggest otherwise in the
absence of anything more concrete is either conjecture or wishful thinking.