[Jandek] Time delays and death thoughts

Jeff Grimshaw jgrimshaw at blast.net
Wed Dec 7 18:08:48 PST 2005

" I've always assumed that Lost Cause was the last album of vault-digging,
and that since Twelfth Apostle, the albums are being released more or
less as they are recorded.  The sharp stylistic division between everything
up to Lost Cause and everything after leads me to believe that he didn't
record anything for some years... This theory could be consistent with
Jandek's transition from the machinist job (Trubee interview) to the office
job (Vine interview); maybe he wasn't making music during those years
(roughly circa
1985-1995)? ...Oh and by the way has anyone else wondered if the early
acoustic albums were actually recorded after the "mid-period" electric blues
stuff? Those albums have such a strong circa-1970 vibe that I find it
difficult to imagine them being recorded in a later time period.  I imagine
it like this: the acoustic stuff is circa late seventies; after he started
getting some response to those LP releases he started digging through older
tapes looking for stuff to release, from when he was younger and running
with the crowd that helped make the records.  This could help
explain the rehearsal/jam-session, never-intended-for-release feel of a lot
of the  Jandek/Nancy stuff; that stuff is also the kind of thing
people tend to do when they're 25 and not when they're 40."

I think that someone suggested that the mid period albums were recorded
first before, but not this persuasively. This makes an awful lot of sense.