[Jandek] Blue Corpse edits

Ratan X ratanx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 07:34:40 PDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 12:39 PM, twcd1 at aol.com wrote:

> I noticed a change in the lyrics on the track "Georgia East"
>
> "Big wheels turning
> Talk about negroes
> Talk about the fruit"
>
> But on the cd re-release the line "Talk about negroes" has been
> removed.
>
> In my letter, I told Corwood that changing that line made a big
> impression on me and I asked him why they felt the need to change it.
> "Social responsibility" was Corwood's short reply.

I find the edit more bothersome than the original lyric. From what I
can tell, the line was in no way meant to be offensive or malicious
(though I realize that, despite the "Negro College Fund," "negro" does
have some bad connotations).

I wasn't reading along with the lyrics to notice this until you
mentioned it. Now it does seem the "talk about fruit" line jumps in
somewhat abruptly, or at least sounds a bit "off."

Ratan