[Jandek] 1st post

Dave Parent dave9199 at lycos.com
Sat Sep 11 09:23:48 PDT 2004

Hello all,
   My name is Dave & this is my first post on this board. I stumbled over Jandek about a month ago on a Guided By Voices board
that had a thread about him. That led to Seth's site & the rest will be history. My wife and I (who live in Connecticut) drove to
Cambridge, Mass to see the opening screening of Jandek On Corwood. We enjoyed it very much though were very tired from
having driven to Boston the night before to see Guided By Voices at The Paradise. (Anyone else married or with someone who
likes Jandek? I consider myself very lucky.).  I've read through all Seth's archives and didn't quite understand when someone said
that there was laughter from the audience during the showing. I thought it was laughing at, but once I saw it, I understood as I
laughed also, just the way things were said, (I love Eric Clapton) or captions from reviews.  Having been to Point Judith when we
lived in Providence, it was cool to say we recognized the lighthouse and the area. It was also cool to see exactly where my $80
check will end up in the post office in Houston. The end was the most intriguing. Listening to Sterling Smith's voice, I realized,
aside from a long pause, he's just a regular guy, no more no less. And his voice looks like it comes from that head (know what I
mean?) without a doubt. I was very surprised no one mentioned about the origin of the Jandek name nor will I except to say that it
makes you laugh at it's normalcy. It was then that I thought about the Katy Vine interview question, "Do you want people to "get"
your music?" "There's nothing to get." I understand that now. The only difference is when Sterling Smith puts 2 + 2 together, it
doesn't always come out to 4, it sometimes comes out around 17. Lots of people connect irrelevant things together & make
something new. That's all he does & it's great & it's normal. He's kept that child-like wonder into adulthood, very hard to do, let
alone express. Pure & honest, nothing more, nothing less.

P.S. At first I wasn't going to mention this, but I think this part will interest the board. I called Corwood to make sure that the first 20
cds are available as this is really what I wanted to hear. I left a message with my phone number. Being Labor Day weekend and
excited at a new musical discovery, I called again & left the same message. I got a call a couple of days later from Sterling Smith (I
asked if it was Sterling & he said yes). I asked if the first 20 were available, they were & I said; "I've read sometimes you give
freebies out & I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get any as I'm waiting for the 40th album to come out so I can order another
box of 20." He laughed at this. I said; "By my reckoning, the 40th album should be out in the first half of 2006." He said; "It'll
probably be sooner."