[Jandek] Keenan reporte

Seth Tisue seth at tisue.net
Thu Oct 21 21:44:02 PDT 2004

The following is from http://www.brainwashed.com/brain/brainv07i41.html
.  Can we figure out which songs are the three types?

  David Keenan, author of England's Hidden Reverse, who had a role in
  organizing the Instal.04 festival reports the following:

    I didn't get to speak to him, no one did except my friend Barry Esson
    who curated the fest and Richard Youngs and Alex Neilson who played with
    him. He never once said he was Jandek, just a rep of Corwood
    Industries. Said to Alex afterwards that the live show was the first
    time he had ever felt truly alive. Smiled on stage once. Looked very
    emaciated. Apparently in rehearsal he told the group he had three types
    of songs and he would signal by the way he played guitar what type each
    one was, either Blues, Ballad or Brutal(!). He had been in Glasgow for a
    week, flew over on his own money so that he was under no obligation to
    play if he didn't feel like it. The venue was emptied while he practiced
    and no one was allowed to announce he was playing or he would pull the
    show. I knew he was thinking about doing it for a while and finally over
    the last few days realised it was happening but was unable to tell
    anyone. Heather and I have about 70 pics of him in all. The concert was
    filmed, with Jandek having the option of releasing it as a DVD on
    Corwood. Everyone here is still in a daze, can't believe it happened,
    the concert was everything you could've hoped from a Jandek show, crazy
    heavy Velvets spiked blues guitar, Richard playing Holger-Czukay style
    bass throbs, Alex playing heavy and free and that fucking voice sounded
    like it was straight from the void, set of blasted blues, Haino said
    afterwards "Jandek *is* the blues." Jandek looked like he was realy
    enjoying it and pulled a few good shapes too, never said one thing
    though, took his time packing his guitar but no one approached him and
    he left the venue as abruptly as he had arrived. All the songs were of
    heartbreak and abandon, few funny lines too, like when he suddenly
    exploded "I made the decision to get real wild!" and everyone began
    screaming. Apparently he loved the screams, looks likely that he will
    play live again and the next time he will announce it. Anyway, still
    trying to piece it all together. Who could've thunk it?

--
Seth Tisue - seth at tisue.net - http://tisue.net