[Jandek] The Door Behind - lyrics

Paul Condon paulgcondon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:59:43 PST 2004

I said that I did
Somebody asked her to dance
She said yes, but it didn't last long
He told me why don't I move over
I found myself next to her
The other ones were giving me eyes
It seemed I liked all of them
They all went to talk together
When they came back they asked me if I liked her
And I said yes
Then she asked me if I liked her
I said yes I did
Her friends said bye bye, see you later
Then she took me by the hand
Walked me away to the other part of the place
Looking for a private place
We walked into the room and she shut the door
We held in (an?) embrace, I couldn't remember the last time
She was everything I wanted to have
I didn't care about me
She thought I wasn't finished
I thought I never would be
She seemed so happy
That was what I wanted

I'M NOT THAT GOOD (3)
The desert is calling me, but I'm not that good
God help me to take the risk that I have to take
I want to go down fighting - what's holding me back?
You know I want to be there
If you didn't go to Mexico you wouldn't be here now
I need some good thinking to turn this thing around
I've been meaning to ask you - what's it going to do?
Will it be raining, will the sun shine too?
But that's not important - is it hot or is it cold?
Is there water in the air?
The desert is calling me, but I'm not that good
God help me to take the risk that I have to take
I want to go down fighting - what's holding me back?
You know I want to be there
If you didn't go to Mexico you wouldn't be here now

THE SLOW BURN (4)
Are you married?
Are you involved with another person?
Do you live alone?
I want to think about you
No-one comes to my house
I take care of all the things
I need to kill those squirrels running around in the top of my head
You shouldn't have come here
It's the place where I live
You eat electricity, you burn down the house
So I've got to kill you
Go away and fall down dead
And when you're all gone
I'll live in peace in a house that's not burned down
You can be my princess

Everything's clear and clean and I like the temperature
I turned it down to slow burn

IT'S ONLY YOU (5)
It's only you my darling, you're the one with me
The distractions out the window are only a curiosity
I've got a spell on you, I tried the hardest I could
There's no end to this moment, you're the everlasting one
It's only you my darling, you're the one with me
The distractions out the window are only a curiosity
I've got a spell on you, I tried the hardest I could
There's no end to this moment, you're the everlasting one
There's no end to this moment, you're the everlasting one
There's no end to this moment, you're the everlasting one

EVERY SENTENCE (6)
Hold me, hold me, let me stay with you
And (behold? be hauled?) in your presence
I will stay forever, I will never go
I'm creeping, crawling, begging at your feet
I have no power, I don't want it
All I want to do is stay here in your arms
And love you, love you, love you
I have decided there is nowhere else to be
Kiss me, kiss me, take me in your arms
And never, ever, never go away
I give my everything without questions
I adore the floor you walk on
Can I walk the floor with you?
Please, please be there when I wake up
I want to breathe the air around you
To touch you, feel you, know you
Take away the world
So every sentence, you're the subject, object, verb and preposition
You're my words and every sound I hear
Keep me, keep me, always be the thought that I'm thinking
Never in existence is there any other thing to change me, I stop here
I open up your door and I close the door behind me
And I fall down flying, flying in the air with you
And love me, I love you