[Jandek] the jandek tuning

leo fabriek leo at barakken.nl
Wed Nov 17 10:13:11 PST 2004

Found it!
From: http://tisue.net/jandek/mail/archive/jandek-0207.txt
--------------------------------
CLANNNGGGG!!!
Here's my attempt at the tunings from the first 6 1/2 albums. Since they're
all microtonal I've listed the standard notes closest to the actual
microtonal notes used, so you can tune to those and fine-tune by ear.
Underneath each string, I've indicated whether you should prepare to tune
sharp (#) or flat (b) or leave it the same (-) when fine-tuning. All of the
tunings are listed from 6th string to 1st (ie EADGBE in standard
tuning). In
some cases I've mentioned which songs are easiest to tune to by ear, ie
ones
where all the open strings are played individually. I hope this is easy to
follow, you know how it is...

READY FOR THE HOUSE
            E  A  E  A  E  E
            b  -  b  #  b  #
NB: since the B string is tuned nearly all the way up to a high E, I'd
suggest replacing that string with another high E string (I discovered this
the hard way).
"They Told Me About You" is a good one to fine-tune to - there are 2
distinct near-riffs: the first is played on the 3 high strings, the second
on the bass strings.
This tuning works for all the tracks except "European Jewel", which like
all
the early electric songs, seems to be played in standard tuning, though
sliightly tweaked out of tune, or maybe the guitar neck  is slightly warped
or something. Then again, Jandek's constant use of microtones would suggest
that the tuning is deliberate. He seems to be playing barre chords in the
song, but due to the weird tuning, I can't work out if they're E shapes or
A's or what... but for the riff, just follow the dots!

SIX AND SIX
Basically the same as above, though slightly lower overall. This could be
down to a slight variation in tape speed between the 2 albums - who knows?
"You're the Best One", Can I See Your Clock", & "Forgive Me" are all pretty
easy to fine-tune to.

LATER ON / CHAIR BESIDE A WINDOW
            G#  A#  D#  A#  D#  E
            b   b   b   b   b   b
A bit trickier to tune to the records, as Jandek starts playing chords
(well, chord) on these albums. I started off with "Nancy Sings", though I
don't think he plays all 6 strings in that, but if you flick through the
rest of either album, you'll get it pretty soon.
Again, this tuning doesn't apply to the electric songs, "European Jewel"
and
"No Break".

LIVING IN A MOON SO BLUE / STARING AT THE CELLOPHANE
            F   A#  D#  G#  C   F
            b   b   b   b   -   #
Again, more strumming than picking on these, but flick around and it should
all come together.
I'm pretty sure the first 6 tracks on YOUR TURN TO FALL feature the same
tuning - I'll double-check and confirm this in part 2... coming soon...