[Jandek] jandek vs residents

Stampid phylobrag at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 18:24:12 PDT 2004

He quoted Zappa from what I hear
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mark Greenberg
  To: nigel at massage.net.au ; jandek at mylist.net
  Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 11:41 PM
  Subject: RE: [Jandek] jandek vs residents

  I remember hearing some stories that say the Residents were actually made up of the members from the 60's Cali band the Beau Brummels. The BBs ended right around the time the Residents started up, they were both from San Mateo/San Francisco, CA. The Beau Brummels were on Warner Bros. and the Residents were turned down and named by Warner Bros (the returned/rejected tapes were addressed simply to 'the Residents"). There seemed to be more things that linked them together. OH, a likely reason they tried to be on Warner Bros was that Capt. Beefheart was on Warners and a guy that worked for WB (Carl Scott) was previously with the Beau Brummels' management company. I can not remember all the other connections now that I am posting. Has anyone ever heard this tale? Anyone know any more of it? Truth? Lies?

  Either way, I think it is well known that the Residents are a California band and were putting out records on Ralph from California the same time our friend Jandek was putting out records from Houston on Corwood. I would certainly believe that they would have liked each other musically. I wonder if Jandek had their records? It seems I can hear bits of Dylan-isms in Jandek's music. To my ears that is the only obvious inspiration I can think of besides blues references. Anyone pick up any others? Was/is Jandek a music listener/fan?

  -Mark Greenberg