[Jandek] Re: Re: Bright Eyes

Bolanosbliss at aol.com Bolanosbliss at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 16:39:40 PST 2004

So UK punk is somehow "proper" and American punk is "rubbish."  Ever heard of
Black Flag, Husker Du, Flipper, Descendents, Big Black, early Sonic Youth,
Butthole Surfers, Unwound, Circle Jerks, etc.  Sorry, I couldn't let that little
comment go unchallenged.

On the subject of emo, I believe that was originally a derogatory term used
to describe bands that strayed from the hardcore norm of the harder and faster
the better.  It was like a nicer way of calling a band pussies or wusses.
Bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace from Washington D.C. were the original
"emo" bands.  Now that term is used to describe almost anything.  It's just a
trendy term like thrash or house.

When I'm in that 14 year old girl kind of mood I prefer Modest Mouse or
Jawbreaker, but Bright Eyes isn't too bad I guess.

One of the coolest things about Jandek is that he defies meaningless
descriptions like "emo."  Jandek is Jandek, for better or worse.