[Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 21, Issue 1

Ross Em indiejanglefunkterrorist at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 04:26:32 PST 2004

I personally think that Jandek is cleverer than
that...  I don't think if he was going to such lengths
to conceal his identity he would himself register the
copyrights...  I don't know how the legal system
works, but going by what I've heard of Jandek, I can't
honestly see him having such an obvious method to
finding out when he was born. To be honest this
information isn't really what we want to know anyway.
I would much rather prefer to think that Ready for the
House was recorded in 1977/8, Six and Six between 1978
and 82 and so on.  Maybe thats stupid, but as the good
man says, the mystique of Jandek is as alluring as his
music and personally I'd prefer not to know stuff like
this.  On the other hand though, if you say "I know
Jandek's age, but I'm not telling anyone" people are
going to be more interested to find out, as has
happened here.
Is Jandek one person, or more than one person?  Is the
person on the sleeves even him?  These are questions
that occur to us all at some stage, but I'd prefer to
think it's one guy, creating music that is raw and
untainted by most musical influences of just now,
finding his likeminded friends and recording music
with them that makes the world just wonder...
If the music is staggered I really don't care...  As
for Sterling Smith...  Nah, I doubt it.
Take care dudes,
Ross